What do Vegans Eat? Here’s an introduction to the Vegan Diet and how to identify substitutes for the foods that you are used to eating.
What vegan friendly foods can you eat in place of the animal products that you were eating before?
Here’s some ideas:
- Plant based milk such as soy or almond milk for your coffee or cereal
- Veggie burritos without sour cream or cheese but with plenty of avocado and salsa
- Dip your veggies into hummus instead of ranch dressing
- Snack on nuts and fruit instead of cheese and crackers
- Black bean or lentil burgers
- Coucous or Quinoa salad
- Veggie Stirfry over Noodles
Common Vegan Brands
This is just a partial list of Vegan brands, there are many more.
- Tofurky – Hot dogs, sausages and cold cuts
- Field Roast – Seitan roasts, frankfurters, cold cuts
- Gardenburger – Various burgers
- Beyond Meat – Chicken Free Strips and Beef Crumbles
- Energ-G – Egg replacer for baking
- Silk – Large variety of plant based milks, creamer for coffee, yogurts
- Tofutti – Cream cheese sour cream, cheese slices, ice cream
- Daiya – Cheeses
- Earth Balance – Vegan margarine, vegan mayonaise
- Follow Your Heart – Vegenaise
- Taste the Dream – Ice cream, plant based milks
- WayFare – Ice cream and cheese
The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
This book is great for vegan bakers. It has helpful substitution charts and gives examples of recipes that have been veganized. If you want to make traditional “meat” dishes – there is a whole chapter dedicated to meat substitutes. It’s also handy for figuring out dairy substitutes for cream sauces, and there even are sections with soy free and gluten free recipes.